Library Research Award
Arthur A. Houghton, Jr. Library’s Annual Student Research Award
The staff of the Arthur A. Houghton, Jr. Library is pleased to announce the 2014 Student Research Award. This competition began in 1999 and continues to recognize excellence in student writing and research. Cash awards for First ($250) and Second ($150) place winners are made possible with Library endowment funds. Competition procedure:
- Important: This is a library award, so it is expected that the sources used are primarily from the Arthur A. Houghton, Jr. Library, whether from the Library's print collections,electronic books or databases.
- Any CCC student may enter a research essay that was written for a Corning Community College course in the Spring, Summer or Fall 2014 semesters.
- A submission must have a “Works Cited” page and appropriate references, and MLA, APA or another standard documentation style must be followed consistently throughout the essay.
- Submissions will be evaluated on the quality of writing (grammar, logic, and structure) and the quality of research (works cited, relevance, and support of argument). The winning entries should be models of college composition and research and demonstrate high levels of critical thinking. A panel of librarians and Communication Division faculty members judge the essays.
- A faculty signature is required for each submission, which is an endorsement that the paper is of high quality and the information presented is factually correct. Only one entry is accepted per student.
- Papers may be submitted to Eileen Goltry in the Library at any time during the school year, but the deadline for entry is February 13, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. Any entries received after that time will not be considered. Award recipients will be announced in late March 2015.