Meet the Librarians!
Erin Wilburn, Amy Dibble
Ask A Librarian
Feel free to contact a librarian by
or visit us in the library
7:30am - 6pm
7:30am - 4pm
Breaks: M-Th, 8am - 4:30pm, Fri 8am - 4pm
Arthur A. Houghton, Jr Library History
The Arthur A. Houghton, Jr. Library is named for the first benefactor of Corning Community College.
In 1959, the first College Library was located in the former home of Mr. Houghton, president of Steuben Glass (1933-1973), on East Third Street.
In 1960, Mr. Houghton gave CCC 273 acres of land on Spencer Hill and helped the College obtain a grant of more than $2 million from the Corning Glass Works Foundation. His gift constitutes one of the largest private gifts ever made to a public two-year college.
Warner, Burns, Toan & Lunde Architects of New York City were selected as campus architects. Their inspiration for the Library's design, a central gallery with bays or rooms off the gallery, was the Trinity College Library in Dublin, Ireland.
When the College’s permanent library was completed on the Spencer Hill campus in May 1964, it was appropriately dedicated to Arthur A. Houghton, Jr., a collector of rare books and a friend, benefactor, and counselor to Corning Community College.